Saturday, October 26, 2013

First time Lunching with my Finnish Neighbour :)

So I had lunch with Finnish friend this afternoon.

Jani, that's his name (finnish people pronounce J as Y, so his name sounds like "Yani")

It's always good to know some local people and that they will just let you know more about their life in Finland.

Really a nice guy. But quite soft and reserved.

So we talked about anything from school, army and politics. hahas... their army is changing to a new policy.. like sg, army is mandatory when Fins male turn 18. But they only got to serve 6mths-1yr. Now the policy has changed, the government gave the males the option to either serve in army or volunteer in the civil sector such as teacher! The males usually enter university a year later than the females in Finland.

I doubt singapore will ever adopt such policy bah. hahas... singapore already lack of manpower to protect the country (if ever there's a war), i dun think they will ever open up such an option to our SG males.

Seems like Finland has the same government system as SG. They vote every four years instead of 5 and they have 5 main parties to choose from. And also, Fins get to vote once they turn 18! hahas.

As I am writing this, I suddenly wondered if there ever is any riot in Finland before in such a safe and serene country?

No comments: