Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 at a glance

The year of 2012 for me has been filled with an equal mixture of happiness and sadness. First half of the year was colourful while the second half was a terrible nightmare.

Jan - Mid July

My job in SP
By grace, my ex poly lecturer arranged a job for me in SP as a research engineer cum teaching assistant. I managed to come up an entire new project within a span of six months and my programming skills improved. Besides that, I became good friends with the technician officers as well as my poly lecturers. Most of the time for lunch, I was treated to good meals. I could also feel my lecturer's genuine care for me, not because I am the top student but because for who I am. Many of them were Christian and they were also willing to share their testimony with me. They taught me certain life lessons besides the textbooks. I learnt from the brilliant researchers in SP too in terms of technical aspects. I became more knowledgeable in programming (tee hee >.<)
During my stay in SP, I made friends with the auntie cleaners and get to know them better. I hope the students can treat them with more respect. Without them, we would not have such a clean environment to work/study in. Most of them have a sad history and I felt for them. But at the same time, I was quite taken aback by their optimistic attitudes despite all the hardships they faced/are facing. Yes, I ought to be ashamed of myself for this.

I was given the chance to give back to SP by helping weaker students with their work. I even had the chance to conduct lessons. Still, I have not found my passion for teaching. Perhaps I am not creative enough in this aspect. Let me go out to the industry and work, and perhaps if i would like to settle down and have a more stable career, perhaps I might consider. Hopefully, i would be experienced enough to go back as a lecturer and educate my juniors? hahas..

Not forget to thank my group of lunch Khakis in SP. Having known the technicians, my lunch was seldom alone in SP. They would drive me out to nearby places to have good food for lunch. Through them, i get to know more inside information about the school. As I went back to visit them recently, quite number of them have left. It's a pity but I hope that they will have a better prospect out there.

SP is definitely the place I love most in my entire education journey so far!

First Cousins Outing
I am honoured to be the one whom organised our very first cousins outing on a Chinese New Year! To have a few drivers among us gave us the advantage of hanging out late nights together after watching a Chinese New Year movie. Subsequent cousins gatherings soon sprung up :)

2 Social Nights and 1 Commissioning Ball
Ah-ha! this is the privilege of being a female student in engineering faculty! ;) hahas.. I was invited to two social nights for land and air force and there was indeed a difference between the officers in land and air force. Subsequently, I was also invited to a commissioning ball (land) at Sentosa.  My mum was even more excited than me although i am the one attending. She would never fail to get pretty dresses and think of the outfit for me. My cousin, who is a make up artist would also help me doll up on that day. Why was I not invited for another commissioning ball? hahas.. for air force regulars, they only have social nights and graduation ceremony. So yup! It was really an honour to be invited to such grant functions :)

USS with Family
It was a trip to celebrate my sis's 21st. But my parents enjoyed themselves too! You can see the kiddish side of them in this fantasy land and they told me they wouldn't mind going into USS again. Looking towards the second family trip to Sentosa. The last time we went Sentosa was like 15 years plus ago.

Freshman Orientation Camp (Insinyur)
I experienced being Te-kan as a Freshman by going through several "interesting" and unforgettable activities in Uni Freshman camp. Initiation night we were all blindfolded and were smashed with all the chili, ketchup, soy sauce, powder etc. It was yucky but then it was once in a life time experience so I just let seniors spammed and "enjoy" the process. But all my clothes, including my lingerine had to be thrown away as the smell couldn't be washed off having washed it for 5 days.

Second Te-kan was at Siloso Beach where freshmen got to lie face down to form a long stretch on the sandy beach for about 3 hours under the hot sun. Hahas.. nightmare starts! the first person of the row would roll on across everyone of us with the seniors rotating our hands and legs. Followed by the second person in the row and so on. The rolling part was insane! Imagine those heavy weight freshmen rolling over us! Sometimes we can even get our head knocked to the rollers if they didn't follow the instructions carefully. Stupid but fun!

Mid July - Dec

Then all hell and nightmare came when university started. As a direct second year student, I was not given much chance to adapt and the workload was overwhelming in university. Interest and passion soon turned into burdens, bitterness, resentment and hatred towards my course of studies. My relationship with the Lord became a battle too for I don't understand why He had to put me through all this.

I even haboured silly thoughts as a result of it. Amidst all these, God placed many angels in this phase to lift me up and carry me through. I also experienced God's grace and power through it all. One fine night, I was brought down to my knees, asking forgiveness and a chance to start knowing Him again. God is good and merciful to me. I am thankful for these people. God bless you too my angels :)

What happened in sem 1 was something i would not like to remember. But there are several lessons i got to learn from there in order to be a better person in life. May God just knock me out of my stubborn sense and let me start to embrace a new and positive mind set.

Second half of the year was hellish. Whenever there is school for me, there will never be enjoyment.

In exchange I experienced God and true friendship.

Conclusion
What I can conclude for the year of 2012 is that there is much room for me to improve as a person, to be a more confident and optimistic person. I gained social and technical skills as a result of working for one year. I have been blessed to be placed in good companies with good bosses. I achieved my goal for 2012 of spending more time with my family and relatives as well as by contributing a small part to society by tutoring to my juniors and also volunteering in my neighborhood.

The things to be improved on shall be my new year resolution for 2013. frankly speaking, I haven't had new year resolution for a number of years as in the past i set too many resolutions and end up loosing my focus. But this year I have just one main one that I will try to fulfill (for me to know and for you to find out)

With this, I perhaps shall end my last post for 2012.

May 2013 be a God filled and joyful year :)


No comments: