When I went Taiwan for a cultural trip a few weeks back, I noticed something that I feel Singaporean can learn from the Taiwanese.
In SG, should a youth sit on a priority seat and was not aware of the his surroundings, and it happens that there is a pregnant or a senior citizen around, he or she would most likely be shot and uploaded into netizen's portal such as FB and stomp if he/she is unlucky to meet such a netizen. I understand that sometimes people did it on purpose, but there were occasions where normal citizens sitting on priority seat do not really spot the needy people and were taken by the accusing netizens.
In Taiwan, besides the priority seats, everyone in the bus is ready to give up their seats to the more needy people. this includes even the elderlies. I must say this is really commendable and SG should learn from them. I was on a crowded Taiwan bus in this trip and I observed that senior citizens are all very willing to give up their seats to the more needy senior citizens. In SG, we might see some unreasonable elderlies abusing their authority and age to get the priority seats upon boarding the public transport. But nope, this is not the case in Taiwan. Taiwan Senior citizens who board the bus don't display that look that says they deserve the seats. Instead if they really need a seat, they would open their mouth and ask politely.
Instead of taking photos, could these netizens just walk up and speak for these needy people? Instead of staring or keeping quiet, could these needy people speak politely? Instead of immersing in your own world, would the normal passengers keep a look out for the needy people when their butt is on the priority seats?
It works in all three ways.
if Taiwanese can do it, why can't we?
No comments:
Post a Comment